CEO Africa - Utilities / Renewable Energy
With a presence in seven countries, across four continents a recognised independent developer and investor in global renewable energy is looking to recruit a CEO for Africa. Renewable energy has a critical role to play in satisfying Africa’s growing energy needs; it is cost competitive while benchmarked against fossil fuels, quick to deploy and can be established either on-grid or off-grid.
The new appointee will manage the business functions and JV arrangements for Africa and further embed the values, while ensuring delivery of the mission of the company. This role will be based in Cape Town but will be expected to travel extensively in the rest of Africa.
Based in Cape Town and reporting directly to the Executive Director & Chief Operating Officer, the appointed candidate will:
- Be responsible for the commercial success of the business in Africa.
- Secure commercial offtake solutions for renewable energy projects as a primary objective.
- Position the Company as a recognised leading renewable energy player with all stakeholders across Africa.
- Manage the local teams including their recruitment, development, retention and motivation.
- Liaise with Government (be it central or provincial), politicians and civil servants and representative bodies and trades associations, etc., in support of influencing energy policy relating to renewables and business objectives.
- Work in conjunction, where necessary, with other industry players and influencers to effect business supporting, policy outcomes.
- Sell projects, when constructed to local companies.
- Procure customers for renewable energy projects. Customers could include local or central government, or private sector companies who may wish to enter into power purchase agreements for renewable electricity or wish to invest in project equity to acquire projects, in whole or in part, at key milestones such as planning/consent, financial close or commercial operation.
- Manage Joint Ventures on behalf of the Company.
The Successful Candidate will have:
- A degree in Business, Engineering or Finance and least 5+ year’s general management experience in a utilities / renewable power or synergistic environment
- A proven, successful track record of strategic business development, leadership and people management.
- High energy levels, flexibility and self-motivation with a real entrepreneurial spirit will be critical factors for success.
- A strategic thinker who understands the importance of a clear vision and focused mission with measurable outcomes.
- A proven track record in general management and experience of policy influence at the highest levels will be a distinct advantage.
- A proven ability to network, including a demonstrable existing influence network in Africa is desirable.
- Superior communication skills.
- Experience of contract negotiations and associated risk evaluation.
- Ability to establish business objectives in line with the company's mission and implement these effectively with the team.
- Experience in budgeting and expense management with tangible corporate finance and project management skills
- Experience with product introduction, business building and development.
- Previous experience working across Africa is essential - the appointee will need to gain instant credibility and must be able to lead, on the ground, over all of Africa.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious, committed individual to become a central contributor to the long-term success of this values based, highly competitive and industry leading growth-oriented business.
The role will have strong commercial autonomy with the ability to develop and implement a strategy to deliver challenging but realistic objectives and long term value through growth of the existing business and development of new projects.
The remuneration package and prospects for advancement will be attractive to reflect the importance of the role to the overall development of the organisation.
To apply, please email in strict confidence quoting Ref. No. 556, giving full career details and summarising your relevance to:
130 Rathgar Road
Dublin D06 KF22
Tel: +353 1 496 6500