CEO Africa - Utilities
Our client, based in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which operates the oldest National Park in Africa, is looking to appoint a CEO to build and operate Hydro-Electric Power facilities on-site. The Park plans to construct 7 Hydro schemes by 2021, including the associated distribution networks, delivering ~100MW of power to the local region.
The Hydro-Electric Power facilities will funded by continued support from private international foundations and NGO’s and will create a catalyst for regional economic development.
The CEO will be responsible for all aspects of the planning, construction and management of the Hydro facilities at The Park. This will include delivery of key financial targets and operational milestones.
The CEO will report directly to the Board and the Park Director. The CEO will be supported by a senior management team currently including a Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Engineer.
Based in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the appointed candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing relevant corporate strategy objectives, in collaboration with the Board and managing the delivery of all relevant financial and operational milestones.
- Driving and managing the set-up of the Utility required to construct, operate, manage and maintain all planned Hydro facilities at The Park - 100MW by 2021. This will include implementing relevant organisation structure, robust management processes and appropriate risk protocols.
- Delivery of all planned facilities in accordance with the highest international industry standards of construction, health and safety, corporate governance and environmental protection.
- Overseeing delivery of the Company’s core commercial strategy to include relevant pricing and tariffs, customer service programmes and implementation of relevant technology platforms.
- Creation of a collaborative, innovative and inclusive culture required to develop a sustainable commercial enterprise capable of delivering transformative, long-term change in a challenging business environment.
- Implementation of best in class human resources processes including the leadership recruitment, development and motivation of all employees.
- Liaising effectively with key internal and external stakeholders including; local government and representative bodies, international donors, investors, customers and employees.
The Successful Candidate will have:
- A degree in Business, Engineering or Finance and at least 5 years’ senior general management experience. Utilities/energy sector experience, an advantage but not a pre-requisite.
- Previous experience of working in a senior leadership role in Africa is essential.
- A proven track record of successful strategic business development with clear operational focus and obvious commercial acumen.
- Strong leadership and effective stakeholder management skills with a collaborative management style focussed on building cross-functional, high-performance teams.
- Superior communication skills, oral and written, with fluent French highly desirable.
- Flexibility and solutions focussed with ability to cope with ambiguity and problem solve in a dynamic business environment.
- Ambitious, driven, hands-on general manager motivated by the long-term challenge of developing a successful commercial enterprise, with broader societal impact.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious, committed individual to become a central contributor to the long-term success of this values based, commercial organisation with a fundamental social impact in a challenging African region.
The role will have strong commercial autonomy with the ability to develop and implement relevant Strategic and Operational and long term sustainable value.
The remuneration package and prospects for advancement will be attractive to reflect the importance of the role to the overall development of the organisation.
To apply, please email in strict confidence quoting Ref. No. 560, giving full career details and summarising your relevance to:
130 Rathgar Road
Dublin D06 KF22
Tel: +353 1 496 6500