Sales Controller Ireland - Leading Confectionery Manufacturer
With manufacturing facilities in the UK and Europe and a range of leading products in its category, this European based privately owned business has been producing confectionery over many decades. Employing 7,000 people worldwide, it has become a market leader in the UK and is now seeking to expand its position in the Irish market.
Aligned to the Company’s core values of Independence, Focus, Trust, Pragmatism and Quality, the primary focus of the Sales Controller will be to construct, implement and measure a tailored plan in order to deliver sustainable and profitable sales growth and to maintain and to develop relationships with key stakeholders.
Based in Greater Dublin and reporting to the Head of Sales UK & Ireland & Board of Directors – Ireland, the appointed candidate will:
- Construct, develop, implement & measure a tailored plan in order to deliver sustainable and profitable sales growth.
- Review all Customer Business Plans and coach area sales managers to maximise return on all trade investment.
- Plan and conduct regular ‘Business Reviews’ with the Category (Buying) Managers
- Competently use both persuasive selling and negotiation skills and techniques to support sales managers in negotiations where required.
- Use the outputs of each business plan to cascade target activity into implementation plans to ensure the effective use of time and resources.
- Keep pace with the constantly changing marketplace, anticipates market trends, competitive threats and plans accordingly.
- Conduct detailed and thorough promotional analyses and evaluation ensuring that there is a commercial payback from such investment.
- Work with finance controlling to ensure all spends are in line with the agreed plan and actual allocated spending.
- Monitor distribution, space/availability measures to ensure the business has fair representation across the market.
- Manage the credit rating and pro forma agreements across the portfolio of customers and collaborates with the Credit Manager to ensure that each customer remains within the set limit and makes payments as agreed.
- Help build a collaborative team environment across the company.
- Secure and retain ‘partnership supplier’ status and establish and build exceptional relationships with all Category (Buying) Managers.
- Work with UK Demand and Finance teams to develop business planning processes.
- ‘Set the standard’, clearly demonstrating the company’s values with a can-do attitude at all times.
- Drive performance improvement of the team through clear objective setting, feedback and coaching through regular 1:1s, 1/4ly performance reviews and annual appraisal.
- Seek to improve and continually raise their ‘Performance bar’ by knowing themselves, measuring performance and capability on a regular basis.
- Fully contribute to the Company Performance and Development Appraisal process, monitor all aspects of performance v objectives, action plan and behavioural competencies.
- Provide reports and analysis on business performance to Head of Sales, Finance and the Irish Board.
- Understand and comply with the requirements of the Environmental Management System (EMS) and the Environmental Permit to the extent it affects your role.
The Successful Candidate will possess the following Characteristics, Skills & Experience:
- Ideally a graduate with first class commercial skills and at least 5+ years’ experience in branded Irish-based FMCG Convenience Channel Sales / Key Account management with a minimum of 3 years medium-sized sales team leadership experience –with a particular emphasis on retailer negotiations, in-store activity and salesforce leadership & development.
- Track record of consistent performance, incrementally leading the development of sales, margin and other relevant KPIs in the Convenience Channel. A strong preference for candidates who have successfully evaluated and worked with / through distributor relationships and the associated contractual agreements.
- An obvious understanding and experience of formulating business plans underpinned by commercial processes including promotional activity, pricing & rebate / LTA structures, customer service excellence, demand planning, market / channel and distribution drivers, stock & SKU optimisation, category management / space optimisation and joint business planning etc.
- As the leader of the business in Ireland - as well as effectively energizing, motivating and developing the local team - the appointee will have the obvious ability to engage with and positively influence the UK Sales & Marketing functions to proactively support delivery of key objectives within the Irish market.
- High personal integrity with strong values-based, interpersonal, communication and relationship management skills across the trade with a long-term view of their own career as well as an understanding of how to take ownership of the elements to successfully build profitable and sustainable market share growth.
- An autonomous but inclusive leadership style, with a strong work ethic which consistently communicates clarity of purpose and objectives with a partnering-based approach and clear milestones to both the business leadership and its team as appropriate.
- Commercially astute and professionally driven with good strategic thinking capabilities and the rigour and resilience to propel the sales function to significantly improve performance.
- Good cultural fit & flexibility to work in an entrepreneurial, respectful privately-owned company with strong values and heritage.
- Strong analytical, numeracy and negotiation skills and capable of making effective decisions in a fast-changing dynamic environment.
- Highly flexible to ensure optimal customer exposure, executive leadership and team communication.
This Sales Controller role represents an excellent opportunity for an ambitious, committed individual to be a central contributor to the long-term success of this privately owned, entrepreneurial, well governed values-based organisation which has built a very successful international business based on highly ethical trading and traditional brand values.
Based on delivering realistic growth objectives this Sales Controller appointment should provide an opportunity for an individual to develop a sustained commercial leadership role for the foreseeable future.
To apply, please email in strict confidence quoting Ref. No. 18588 giving full career details and summarising your relevance to:
130 Rathgar Road
Dublin D06 KF22
Tel: +353 1 496 6500