SVP & Head of Development - Renewable Energy Investment (Australia)
Recognised as a leading Global Renewable Energy Developers and Investors, this company’s primary business areas are onshore and offshore wind and solar PV. It has a substantial project development portfolio across Africa, South and Central America and is focused on further development in APAC.
The company is in the process of developing a business in Australia and once the initial market entry phase is concluded, focus will be on large-scale wind and solar projects as well as storage solutions in selected States. Both market entry and growth in Australia will be through a combination of acquisitions and green-field development. The company aims to secure a minimum 1GW of renewable energy projects over the next three years.
The organisation now wishes to recruit an experienced SVP & Head of Development to pioneer its entry into Australia and contribute to the expansion of the company’s global renewable energy footprint.
Based in Melbourne, the appointed candidate will:
- Use business acumen and critical thinking to recommend action to management on whether to pursue, and how to pursue, renewable energy opportunities.
- Evaluate projects in order to determine whether it would be appropriate for the company to pursue and / or invest in them, from both a commercial and technical perspective.
- Co-ordinate the due diligence process to evaluate project viability.
- Collaborate closely with the commercial team and others in support of the investment process.
- Work in project locations to manage close out of development activities and delivery of projects through the financial close process.
- Negotiate agreements to secure and deliver wind and solar PV projects.
- Manage handover of developed projects to Project Delivery Team.
- Firmly establish the company’s presence; positioning it as a recognised leading renewable energy player in Australia (and in a broader regional context, where appropriate), promoting the brand through media, written articles, conferences and events, where relevant and opportune.
- Represent the company confidently and knowledgeably in public.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders internally and externally.
- Recruit local employees and assist management to design governance structures that will represent and protect the company in-market, and deliver on the company’s objectives for Australia.
- Identify and remediate gaps in work breakdown structure for projects
The Successful Candidate will have:
- A tangible level of experience of large-scale renewables initiatives, including deep risk assessment and evaluation and be a seasoned business development leader with significant gravitas
- Inherent deal making and commercial acuity, together with a reasonable level of technical aptitude. The candidate must understand how a deal works in order to see it through end to end. Experience of environmental assessments is an advantage
- Excellent project management skills and a highly organised, detail conscious, approach to work
- Relevant experience and be a recognised renewable energy / power generation development ‘expert’ in order to represent, build and grow the brand in the market
- High energy levels, enthusiasm, resilience, flexibility and self-motivation, with a hands-on ‘sleeves rolled up’ spirit, will be critical factors for success
- Proven capacity to work on own initiative and be a decisive leader
- Strong written and oral communication skills. The candidate must be comfortable presenting to management at all levels
- Capability to manage internal and external resources, take a lead role at meetings, setting priorities and recording actions
- Ability to use Microsoft software (e.g. Word, Excel & Outlook) and specialist software packages (e.g. GIS, AutoCAD, MS Project, SharePoint)
- A degree and be qualified with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a commercially-focused, rather than asset management and construction orientated, business development function
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious, committed individual to be a central contributor to the long-term success of this values based, highly competitive and industry leading growth-oriented business.
The remuneration package will be attractive to reflect the strategic importance of the role to the overall development of the organisation.
To apply, please email in strict confidence quoting Ref. No. 18597, giving full career details and summarising your relevance to: