Head of Fundraising & Business Development - Aware
Aware is Ireland’s most well-known mental health charity (omnibus survey 2018), providing support, education and information services for those impacted by depression, bipolar disorder and other mood related conditions. Founded in 1985, the organisation developed in response to the clear need for information, understanding and support, both for individuals with a diagnosis of depression or bipolar disorder as well as family members supporting a loved one.
Aware requires annual income of €2m+ to fund its services, with just 20% of this provided by the state through the HSE. The balance is generated through various fundraising channels: corporate partnerships, corporate events, mass participation events, donations, and external community events, run for the benefit of Aware. Aware currently has 14 full-time employees, 7 part time staff, 400 volunteers and 60 trainers who work for the organisation on a contract basis. Aware has significantly developed and grown its service offering over the past number of years and has very ambitious plans for the future.
To support the increasing demand for its services, the Board of Aware is currently engaged in a process of appointing a new Head of Fundraising & Business Development who will be primarily responsible for delivering its ambitious commercial agenda over the next 3/5 years. This will be a full-time position, replacing the existing Head of Fundraising who is leaving to pursue other career opportunities.
Based at Aware’s offices in Upper Leeson St Dublin 4, the Head of Fundraising & Business Development will report directly to the CEO, and will be responsible for leading and managing a Fundraising team including a Fundraising Manager and two support executives. The role is a key part of the senior leadership team at Aware including: CEO, Director of Services and Director of Marketing and Communications.
The appointed candidate will have 4 primary role responsibilities and deliverables:
- Devising and executing Aware’s annual Fundraising/Commercial strategy (budget €1.5-2m), as approved by the CEO and Board. This will involve maximising commercial income and revenue growth through a combination of; a. Identifying new sales/revenue targets primarily focussed on; Commercial, Event and Philanthropic Partners.
- Presenting regular strategy updates to the CEO and Board, against agreed financial and operational KPI’s.
- Developing and managing relationships with key commercial stakeholders including; charitable trusts/foundations/ institutional and high net worth funders, current and prospective corporate partners, stage agencies and event partners.
- Managing and mentoring Aware’s internal fundraising and business development team.
b. Accessing key decision makers through a combination of networking and digital marketing programmes.
c. Negotiating commercial agreements and managing on-going commercial relationships.
d. Building and managing appropriate sales pipelines for all relevant commercial channels.
e. Developing new revenue channels as appropriate, in collaboration with the CEO and Aware’s service delivery teams.
The successful candidate will have:
- Appropriate third level/Business qualification.
- Proven track record (minimum 5 years) in sales/commercial roles, delivering commercial strategies and targets, in both B2B and B2C channels. Previous experience in Not-for-Profit sector not a pre-requisite.
- Strong commercial acumen with ability to significantly grow Aware’s fundraising revenues, in line with approved Strategic Plans.
- Reflective of Aware’s core organisational values and culture and the highest standards of corporate governance, professionalism and business ethics.
- Excellent networking skills with the gravitas to identify, engage and close commercial relationships with a variety of third-party donors, funders and commercial partners.
- Will effectively represent Aware at public events and speak with confidence about mental health issues in general and Aware’s core service offerings.
- Enhanced leadership and communications skills (written and oral) and capable of managing internal teams and evaluating performance through transparent metrics and appropriate KPI’s.
- Strong operational skills, will be process and metrics-driven. Tech savvy with a working knowledge of Digital platforms an advantage.
- Collegiate, respectful and collaborative mindset.
- Determined to “make a difference."
A competitive remuneration package (including Salary, Pension), reflective of the seniority of the role, will be on offer to the successful candidate.
To apply, please email in strict confidence quoting Ref. No. 19604, giving full career details and summarising your relevance to: