Director & General Manager - International Freight Services
This Irish based Group provides customised outsourcing and design to deliver innovative client solutions across a range of markets which optimise client brand performance. Having built successful and sustainable brand partnerships for over 80 years, it now employs over 1,000 people.
Scope of Role:
As part of their ambitious growth and development targets over the next 5 Years, the company is seeking to hire a Director & General Manager (GM) for its International Freight Business. The Director & GM will lead the development and embedding of robust strategic and operational / commercial plans, reporting, systems and processes to provide clarity of the company’s Freight objectives across the organisation. Relevant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) will underpin this clarity and will be proposed by the Director & GM, signed off and reviewed with the overall Divisional MD on a regular basis.
With direct responsibility for leading and managing all strategic, commercial and operational elements of the Freight business, the appointee will oversee the P&L, the overall Operation and Commercial teams in Roadfreight, Airfreight, Seafreight, and Customs Brokerage Departments
A key determinant of success within the role will be the level of increase in shareholder value from the Freight Business allied to the building of strong relationships with customers, team members, other external stakeholders, cross-divisional / functional teams and the Senior Management team along with overseeing best-in-class service delivery which is a key differentiator for the organisation.
Based primarily in Dublin the appointed candidate will:
- Operationally lead a robust business which delivers for customers in a best in class manner while ensuring profitable returns for the organisation.
- Define, agree and develop the company’s Freight Growth Strategy; its underlying commercial (sales & marketing), financial, operational plans to implement initiatives while focusing on delivering sales, core margin, net profit growth, best-practice service quality and related operational metrics.
- This should be done in collaboration with the overall Logistics Solutions Managing Director, to include continuous improvement, identifying new service offerings and accessing new market sectors and territories.
- Lead, develop and manage the Freight team to deliver high performance, supported by prudent budget management and governance-based processes and procedures.
- Effectively develop and manage relationships with key customers, based on prior relationships, credibility, trust and leading the delivery of superior client service.
- Develop core and new service offerings, in collaboration with Group colleagues that enhance the organisation’s Freight positioning as a market leading company.
- Effectively manage relationships with key internal colleagues and stakeholders e.g. Senior Leadership Team, Board, own Freight Services team, cross divisional / functional teams and effectively leverage relationships and commercial opportunities within the wider company network.
- Review market trends, pricing, competitive positions and key developments & threats for the company, providing / delivering recommendations to the organisation.
- Enhance the company’s Freight market positioning through building a strong network with key stakeholders (existing key and prospective customers, industry bodies, recognised sector experts) in the international Logistics Solutions & Supply Chain sector.
- Ensure the development and implementation of clear monthly, weekly, daily operational, sales and margin targets that are an effective dashboard to drive improved business performance.
- Ensure the business has a strong leadership and specialist talent pipeline through further development of high potential individuals; underpinned by effective processes to optimise recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and disciplinary actions as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain a safe and healthy work environment and provide a high level of safety awareness among the team through continual maintenance programmes, communication, education and enforcement of safe work and driving practices; while ensuring compliance with governmental or other regulatory laws, and guidelines including but not limited to Road Safety Authority, Health & Safety Authority, HPRA.
The successful candidate will possess the following Characteristics, Skills & Experience:
- A minimum of 5 - 7yrs successful Operational Management and Commercial leadership in an International Freight environment with a track record of delivering accelerated and profitable commercial growth in B2B international Freight Services.
- A highly effective natural leader with strong Operational Management leadership experience, ideally allied to deep existing customer relationships in Freight.
- A third level/professional qualification in a relevant discipline e.g. Business, Finance, Supply Chain would be an advantage.
- Strong operational leadership experience with the ability to develop robust teams to manage effectively and maximise profitably in their divisions. Road Freight experience is a prerequisite.
- Commercially astute and able to lead customer-experience driven operations, with a focus on profitability and cost consciousness with the ability to personally develop & close new business along with leading a team to do likewise.
- Track record of developing and embedding strong strategic, operational & commercial plans, reporting, systems & processes; driving growth by providing clarity of objectives, accurate & timely reporting and significant improvement in both sales & margin delivery.
- An understanding of international freight principles and methods along with materials handling, people management, administration and management, and supply chain.
- A team player with evidence of grounded relationship building and communication skills with key suppliers, international customers, other external stakeholders, cross-functional teams and senior management teams – allied to the ability to positively challenge the status quo and identify / exploit new service solutions within new sectors or service lines.
- Ambitious for the business as well as themselves - proactive and strategic with a value driven and continuous-improvement approach to commercial, quality metrics and operational excellence; developing, communicating and embedding measurable processes.
- Obviously capable of leading teams to excel in a demanding, performance driven, customer and delivery focused environment. Target driven and results oriented.
This role represents an exciting career opportunity to drive the strategic growth and development of a market leading business, offering strong value-added International Freight Solutions to blue-chip Irish and Global clients at an exciting time of its development.
Given the visibility of the role and the evidence that success should provide, it is also an opportunity to develop a profile in an organisation with an outstanding track record of growth. A strong remuneration package will be offered to reflect the importance of this role to the organisations strategic development.
To apply, please email in strict confidence quoting Ref. No. 19608 giving full career details and summarising your relevance to:
130 Rathgar Road
Dublin D06 KF22